Sunday Baking – Malteser Cake
Rangemaster have designed a great recipe for cooking with the small people – their incredibly indulgent Chocolate Malteser cake. It’s a simple hands on recipe, and kids will no doubt enjoy getting messy with the batter and decorating with Maltesers!
250g self raising flour
250g soft brown sugar
50 g cocoa powder
250 g plain chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
4 eggs, lightly beaten
For the icing: 400g plain or milk chocolate
284ml pot single cream
100-200g icing sugar
175g pouch of Maltesers
You will need 2 x 18cm sandwich cake tins
1. Heat the oven 160ºC conventional (shelf below centre), fan oven 150ºC, gas mark 3 (centre shelf). Base line the cake tins with greaseproof paper.
2. Sieve the flour, sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter with 200ml of water in a pan, gently.
4. Add to the flour with the eggs. Mix well.
5. Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. They may crack a little on the surface.