Should you consider ‘going green’ in 2012?
Everyone knows that going green is great for the environment. It produces less pollution and slows global warming, which ensures that we will have a healthier planet in the future. However, did you know that leading a green lifestyle can also do wonders for your household budget? It’s because of renewable energy, and here’s everything you need to know before you switch to it.
Household advantages of renewable energy
1. Using renewable energy puts you on the cutting edge of technology. This advantage may not mean very much for the average household consumer at the moment, but you will appreciate it when renewable energy becomes the dominate source of power in the future. Lawmakers are already pushing to make renewable energy in the UK one of the leading sources of power by the year 2050, and you can get ahead of the curve by installing a green energy system or switching to a renewable energy provider right now.
2. Renewable energy comes in many forms. Opponents of renewable energy often cite that it is inconvenient for households because renewable sources depend on geographic and atmospheric conditions such as exposure to the sun. However, the sheer variety of forms that renewable energy comes in allows households to choose the method of energy production that is best for them. Solar energy is perhaps one of the most popular ways to create your own energy, but mini wind turbines are also gaining more ground, especially in the UK where wind energy technology is progressing quickly.
3. Renewable energy can actually save you money in the long run. If you install a green energy system in your home today, you can consider it an investment in your future energy needs. While it’s true that solar panels, for example, can take up to a decade to pay for themselves, they often last much longer than that. This means that you could be completely off the grid and energy independent for many decades to come. In addition, some homes produce more energy than they use, which they can then sell to renewable energy companies at a profit.
4. Using renewable energy provides your family with economic stability. If you’re tired to wildly fluctuating energy prices courtesy of the Big Six, renewable energy is a viable solution for your household. No matter what source it comes from, prices for renewable energy are often more consistent, and many times much cheaper, than prices from the petrol, coal, and natural gas industries.
5. You don’t have to install a new energy system to go green. Perhaps one of the best reasons to go green today is the fact that it takes very little effort. While it is true that many households that use renewable energy create their own electricity, this doesn’t have to be the case. You can also use green energy by switching to a renewable energy company like Good Energy, a 100 per cent green energy provider that landed at the top of the “Which?” customer satisfaction survey two years in a row.