New Ken Hom recipes, just for #EarthHour – Crackling Rice Paper Wrapped Salmon.
These recipes from chef Ken Hom are in support of WWF Earth Hour. The theme of this year’s Earth Hour is ‘Do It In The Dark’, so Ken Hom has created recipes people can share over a candlelit dinner during the hour. yesterday we showed you the Clay Pot Caramel Pork, but today we have a delicious wrapped salmon meal.
Rice paper rounds are made from a mixture of rice flour, water and salt. Rolled out by a machine to paper thinness, they are then dried on bamboo mats in the sun, giving them their beautiful cross-hatch imprint or pattern. They are available only in dry form. They come in a round or triangular form that is dry, semi-transparent, thin and hard. They are very inexpensive and are available in many Chinese grocers and supermarkets and well worth the search.
450g (1 lb) boneless salmon fillet
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground 5 pepper mix
1 packet 22 cm (8 ½ in) Bánh Tráng dried rice paper rounds
4 large fresh sorrel leaves
16 fresh coriander leaves
2 tablespoons groundnut or peanut oil
1 fresh lemon cut into wedges, to serve
1. Divide the salmon fillets into 4 equal pieces, about 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm (3 in x 3 in) pieces. Combine the salt and pepper and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the salmon pieces.
2. Fill a large bowl with hot water and dip one of the rice paper rounds in the water to soften, this will take but a few seconds. Remove and drain on a linen tea towel. Put in the centre of the round two coriander leaves, then a piece of salmon, and finally 1 fresh sorrel leaf on top.
3. Fold the first edge over the ingredients, then fold in the sides. Then fold the entire package in half, leaving a flap at the corner away from you. Finally push the flap to secure the package. Repeat until all the packages are filled.
4. Heat a large heavy frying pan over high heat until it is hot, then add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the four packages and pan-fry on the seamless side for about 3 minutes or until they are golden brown. Turn over to the other side and continue to cook until these sides are also golden brown.
5. Arrange the packages on a platter with fresh lemon wedges and serve at once.